Sunday, September 1, 2019

Aurora 9/1/2019

 

   Predictions of auroral activity had been all over the local news since mid-week.  Friends and relatives had been asking me if I had heard of the pending Northern Lights display.  My reply dampened their expectations since the Kp index was only forecast to hit 5 or 6.  Besides that the timing of peak activity was supposed to occur when our local area was under cloudy skies. 

  Anyway I woke at 4:30 this morning and looked out to see that the sky had cleared.  So I checked my favorite website http://spaceweather.com/ to see what the geomagnetic conditions were.  They indicated a level of Kp 5 which doesn't make for a visually detectable display from my location but my camera can sometimes catch it anyway. So I packed the camera and the dog and headed toward the state park.

Slightly green on the horizon at level Kp 5
    The strength of the northern lights can vary quickly and they did. Fortunately intensity to probably Kp 6 and the display became barely visible to my eye but easily within the range of my camera.
Exposure - 30 seconds at f/3.5 and ISO 8000
Telephone pole and sand silo cropped out.
Milky Way over Lake Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment