Thursday, December 2, 2021

December Waterspout. 12/2/2021

 

    I noticed a colorful sky developing just before sunset so I grabbed the camera and went outside to get some photos.  

  Sure the sunset was picturesque but 10 minutes later after I was back in the house I looked out and noticed a funnel dropping down from the clouds.  It was the first waterspout of the year for me. So I ran out on my deck in my socks to try to capture the rare event. 
   Waterspouts form when cool air passes over much warmer water.  With Lake Michigan at record high temperatures for December waterspout season has lingered past its normal November 30th end. 
   As the funnel drifted south it lined up with the path that setting sun had taken, adding a dramatic color element to the photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment